Friday, August 26, 2011

Blessings

Psalm 127: 3-5 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to the gate.”

After much prayer and three beautiful pregnancies, my husband and I decided we would not expand our family any further. Before the birth of our third child my husband had a vasectomy. We were at peace with this decision.

Flash forward two years and we are still at peace with this decision that we were clearly given from the Lord. But still there is a mother in my soul and I always wonder if we made the wrong decision to not expand our family with more children.

After reading Psalm 127:3-5, I wonder why wouldn’t we want to add more children to our family? The Lord calls us to be fruitful and expand his kingdom.  I enjoy whole heartedly being a stay at home mommy, homeschooling mom, Sunday school teacher of preschoolers and having my own in home daycare. I am around children all of the time…it is one of my joys and I have been called to care for children. My husband also cares for our children as well as being a youth group sponsor in our church.  We are both passionate about children and being sure they know the Lord.

So, while I sometimes ponder the thought of another pregnancy, foster care, and adoption I come to the same conclusion, none of these are right for our family.

I am happy for all friends around us having babies, saving and loving kids with foster care and hearing Gods call to adopt a special person. I personally do not have the call to do any of these.

I do have a different call. A calling from the Lord that many may think is crazy. Its something I have been doing since I was 16 years of age. I love it.  So while we will not be adding any permanent members to our family, I do get to add little people in my life on a daily basis. In my home I  am able to care for kids and love them while their parents are working, attending college and preparing a better way for their family.

I am blessed to be called MOMMY! I am blessed to walk with my children daily in their school work, play, and daily life. I am blessed to care for other peoples children that are dear to my heart and teach them the love of Jesus. I get to be the hands and feet of my Lord, in my own home, with my own children, and with the blessings that come daily to spend the day with us. I am overjoyed at my calling and excited to see the fruits of my labor.

I used to think what are my spiritual gifts? How will I have time to serve with three small children? God was showing me one thing…you are using your spiritual gifts, you do have time to serve and you are already doing it. I figured out that my ministry is my family, my home, the food I prepare, the dishes I wash, the floors I scrub, the garbage I take out, the book I read, the baby I rock, the tears I wipe, the giggles and tickle fights, the laundry I do, the baths I give, the shoes I tie, the barbies I dress, toys I clean up, the grocery shopping with three kids running all different directions and wanting different things, taking a naps!

I have carried three in my womb. I carry many in my arms. I rock many in my rocking chair. I sing Jesus loves me to each that enter my home. I tell them they are beautiful and praise all they do. I pray over them and know that I am doing Gods work here in my own home.

Are you using your spiritual gifts? Are you being fruitful as the Lord has commanded us to be?

Blessings

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment