Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Freezer Cooking

So, after reading on a few blogs about freezer cooking and seeing how much easier it would be for me to be able to pull a “meal” from the freezer on a busy night, I decided to try it out!

In my first attempt at this freezer cooking I used what we already had at home.  I learned a few things. I realized some things that I need to buy for next time. I have a plan for next time!

What I made..

3lbs of Taco Meat

3lbs of Hamburger seasoned with garlic, onion, and salt

1lb of Italian Seasoned Chicken

1lb of BBQ Chicken

Cinnamon Streusel Bread

36 Pancakes from scratch

Things I learned…

Clean as you go.

Don’t cook food when kids are hungry, they thought the pancakes were for lunch that day!

Chewing gum while cutting an onion does NOT keep you from tearing up!

Things I will need to buy for next time…

More FLOUR!

LOTS of plastic baggies

Aluminum foil

My Plan for next time…

Try out chicken burritos

Try making oatmeal packs

Buy lots of fruit to freeze for smoothies ( I should probably get a smoothie recipe also!)

I don’t know if I will do this weekly? I don’t know what other recipes would do well frozen that I could just pull out and “warm up”. I need to do a little more research along with trial and error!

Happy Cooking

Jackie

2 comments:

  1. Good job! One thing I do is to use the crockpot to cook the meat overnight and then I can shred it and use it for different things. I wish we lived closer so that we could do this together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here through themodestmom blog & couldn't help but comment on this topic while here. 30daygourmet.com has some great tip & techniques on getting into freezer cooking. They also have some free recipes as well.
    ~ Rebecca

    ReplyDelete